Practical Nursing: How to Apply

Follow along or check the FAQs for some quick help on your application

Practical Nursing FAQs

We have start dates in August and January. For the Fall Cohort (August start), applications are due by the second Friday in June. Spring Cohort (January start) applications are due by the first Friday in November.

No. Our program is full-time during the day, with an average attendance of 30-34 hours per week. Attendance varies from Fall to Spring. Fall students should plan to attend in-person, either on campus or at the clinical site, 4 days a week, with the 5th day online. Spring students should plan to attend on campus or at the clinical site 5-days-a-week.

You must have completed Medical Terminology and Anatomy/Physiology within the past 5 years from an accredited institution with a grade of 'C' or higher. You must also have taken the Accuplacer assessment and scored 250 or higher in Reading, Writing and Math within the last two years. In addition, you must provide proof of high school completion/equivalency (diploma, transcript, GED or HiSet). International students have some additional requirements.

No. Even if you have a college degree, proof of high school completion is still required by the Oklahoma Board of Nursing.

On Page 7 of the packet, there is a partial list of ways to take them. Just make sure any Medical Terminology course is at least 45 hours and Anatomy/Physiology is at least 102 hours, both taken at an accredited institution. If you took those classes more than 5 years ago, you may request permission to challenge the courses by testing. To request an Advanced Standing Credit via Testing Challenge: 1) Speak with an advisor about the request by calling 405.717.4900; 2) If eligible, make an appointment to see the Practical Nursing Program director by calling 405.717.4382; 3) The program director will review transcripts and provide directions on scheduling the exam. If you have questions, email LaDonna Selvidge.

Yes! As long as your courses will be completed prior to the first day of class with a grade of 'C' or better, you can still apply. You will need to include documentation showing you are enrolled with your application.

Yes! You will need to have scored a 19 or higher in each ACT subsection of Reading, English and Math. You must have taken the ACT within the last 2 years.

This program is available to individuals who have been referred by one of the Associate Degree Nursing Education Partners (Oklahoma City Community College, OSU-OKC, or Rose State College). Students admitted through this partnership are eligible to return to their referral RN school upon successful completion of the program and passing the NCLEX-PN exam. Students may apply for admission to either the fall or spring, but are responsible for application deadlines of the referring school once the Practical Nursing program at Francis Tuttle has been completed.

Yes! There is a checklist located on Page 14 of the application packet that can help you identify everything you need.

Francis Tuttle defines International Applicant as a person for whom English is a second language and who has graduated from high school in a foreign country.

Unfortunately, no. Historically we have more applicants than we have spots available, so the application process is competitive.

Applicants are ranked by preference points. These points are calculated based on Grade Point Average, Assessment Test Scores, Prerequisite Courses, Completion of Health Related Course(s), Health Care Certification/License, Experience, and/or FTTC Pre-Nursing Credit. More information is available on pages 10 and 11 in the packet.

No. Selections are made solely on the preference point system. 

Selected applicants are notified two weeks after the application deadline.

Maybe. You are not required to take the TOEFL only if you graduated from high school in one of the English speaking countries listed on page 9 of the application packet. All other international applicants will need to take either the internet-base, paper-based, or computer-based TOEFL and meet or exceed a minimum score (see page 8). You may register and pay to take the exam online at

You may pursue a High School Equivalency Assessment letter that indicates the high school education you received in your country is equivalent to a high school education in the United States. The evaluation and letter are available through the International Students' office at some colleges and universities. This letter may also be obtained from World Education Services at In addition, if you have attended a college or university in the U.S., you may qualify to receive a high school diploma (see more in the question below).

Maybe. The Oklahoma State Department of Education Accreditation Standards Division may issue you a high school diploma if you meet certain criteria, including completing 30 or more credit hours (1000 level or above) from an accredited college or university. This is a free service.