Withdrawals, Refunds, and Return of Aid

Review how to withdraw, whether you get a refund and steps to return financial aid

To officially withdraw from classes, you should notify your instructor, who will process a Change of Status form, updating all relevant departments of your withdrawal.

Financial aid is awarded to students under the assumption that you will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When you withdraw, you may no longer be eligible for the full amount of funds you were originally scheduled to receive. This is also applicable if you cease to attend for any other reason prior to completing the clock hours in the payment period for which assistance was awarded.

Francis Tuttle Technology Center also reserves the right to administratively withdraw students (e.g., for poor attendance, academic issues, disciplinary problems, etc.).

Using the student's withdrawal date, which is the last date of attendance in a school-related activity, the institution will determine how much of the payment period you were scheduled to complete. If you withdraw prior to being scheduled to complete more than 60 percent of your payment period, then the institution will determine the amount of federal student aid is unearned. If the total amount of Title IV assistance you earned is less than the amount disbursed, the difference will be returned to the Title IV program in a specified order: 1) Federal Pell Grant and 2) Federal SEOG.

If you were scheduled to complete more than 60 percent of the clock hours in the payment period, you are said to have earned all of your federal assistance. You will be notified if you are eligible for any post-withdrawal disbursements.

In most cases, Francis Tuttle Technology Center may have to repay the unearned financial assistance to the appropriate program. Francis Tuttle Technology Center will bill you for any money you owe as a result. In other cases, you may owe money directly to the government program (e.g., the Federal Pell Grant program). The institution will notify you if you owe the money directly back to the government, and you are responsible for paying the overpayment within 45 days. If you do not repay the money within the allotted time, the overpayment may be transferred to the Debt Collection Services Department at the Department of Education. You will not be eligible for further federal student aid until the overpayment is resolved.

To determine the amount of money that must be repaid, the institution will calculate how many hours you were scheduled to complete at the time of your withdrawal and divide this by the number of hours in the payment period. If you withdrew after you were scheduled to complete 60 percent of the payment period, then you are considered to have earned all the federal aid for the payment period. If you withdrew before you were scheduled to complete 60 percent of the payment period, then the unearned portion of the financial aid must be returned. The amounts returned are determined by the calculation results in the Return of Title IV calculation.

Determine your eligibility for a tuition refund.